Saturday, October 16, 2010

pues........


Hola! So it's the end of basically my 2nd week in Spain. I only had to work on Thursday this week because of the puenta on Tuesday which is a Spanish holiday. There are supposedly lots and lots of these! The weather has been strange. This past weekend it was rainy and cold. I imagine that contributed to me getting sick on Monday with a cold. I spent most of the week resting and trying to get the right medications from the pharmacy. I missed school though, and I really enjoy working with the children.

(Moral de Calatrava at dawn)

Yesterday I went to my first free Spanish class. Ben, Paige's boyfriend, came as well. We were the only Americans and probably only 2 of maybe 5 who spoke English at all. It was introduction day so of course I was first to go in front of the class with another student and ask her all the questions I could think of in Spanish. Lots of laughs, lots of fun. I spent the rest of the day with Paige and Ben. We went to 6 Caja Castilla La Manchas (banks) until we finally found the one that can give us the Carnet Joven (youth card for discounts), but of course it was 2:15pm by then. Very odd hours for business here. Siesta is real!!!! We had burgers in an American restaurant, ha. They made sure to tell us we got free refills. Afterwards, Paige and I spent a hilarious afternoon searching for gyms and getting lost around town. She has a very magnetic personality. She's candid and extroverted, not afraid to ask for help with as much Spanish as possible.
(Paige & me in my piso. mucho mucho verde!!!)


Today I went to Almagro to see Manoli and meet her husband Checho and baby. Her home is stark white with the typical persianas window blinds which shuts out any light. These blinds are on all the windows in Spain. Good for sleeping not for waking. We went to a local restaurant and tried about 6 typical dishes of the area. Everything was fabulous especially the gacha and desserts. Checho tried to tell me a story about lemmings, the animals, which I mistook for lemons, the fruit. I was imagining suicide lemons and just said "si" "si" as I often do without understanding. When we figured it out there was unrelenting laughter. Lost in translation. Perdido en traduccion. Afterwards, they took me on a walk around the city. I saw the Plaza Mayor (every city has one) and Corral de Comedias, a famous theater. We finished the afternoon with cafe con leche and then headed back to Ciudad Real because the baby had made lots of caca in his diaper!


(Manoli & me in Almagro)

Tomorrow a group of us will travel to Madrid for the Rastro, a market with lots of great things to buy!

Oh yeah, we did the Tapa hop last weekend here, but I only made it to 7 bars. There were 32 in total.
(Tapa hop)

(Outskirts of Ciudad Real. There are trails for running.)



There are so many babies in Ciudad Real!

No comments:

Post a Comment